Friday, May 13, 2011

We Have Chicks




Aren't they so cute?!?

We have recently purchased chicks to raise for eggs. I'm also hoping this will teach my children some valuable lessons about where our food comes from and about simpler times and simple ways. 

Growing up my grandma and grandpa raised chickens. Some were for eggs and every year they had a few hundred for butchering. I have so many fond memories of the family getting together early in the summer to butcher and clean the chickens then the families would divide them to take home and freeze. My favorite job was cutting open the gizzards to take out the sack of grit!

We aren't that ambitious!  We are just starting out with seven strictly for eggs.  :) Eventually we will increase our chicken family when we get the hang of things. We might even get a few to butcher one of these days. ( I can't wait for those gizzards!)

We are currently modifying an old hog shed to house these little critters and should be done by next week. (Nothing like putting the cart before the horse, huh?)


We now need names for six hens and one rooster. I would love some suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, they are cute! I bet Ally and Ethan are having fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your sweet blog and can't wait to make some of those bottle cap magnets! My mom did that when we were little with our little bitty school pictures. I have five chickens that I named after country music singing ladies, Tammy, Loretta, Dolly...

    Mrs. H. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet thoughts from my kind friends are always welcome!