Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bottle Cap Magnets


I made a bunch of these magnets to decorate my refrigerator and help hold up all the lovely pictures that my kids make.  Here is how I did it!






I started off by trying to save a little money. I called our local bar and asked them to save some of their bottle caps for me. What I got was quite a mess!  I cleaned them up and found that they had a rubber liner inside. I didn't want this in there so I tried to remove it. What a struggle! Not only was this a problem but the edges of the caps were straight and what I wanted was a flared edge. The flared edge makes the cap look more like a mini pie plate!

Needless to say I didn't use those. Come to find out they have perfect bottle caps on ebay that are just for crafts. So after a couple of bucks and a few days of waiting I got just what I needed.

Next I got out some of my old Gooseberry Patch calendars (I just hate to throw such cute things away and now I'm glad I didn't!) Then I got out a 1 inch hole punch and punched out the pictures I wanted for my magnets. You could probably even do this with photos of your family or just about anything that will fit in a 1 inch circle!

 When you get the pictures cut out that you want then with a small paint brush paint on a dab of Mod Podge glue in the inside of your bottle cap and stick your picture in. 


After that you can use a 1 inch clear epoxy sticker to just stick on top of the picture you put in your bottle cap. It kinda magnifies your photo and makes it look finished.
I looked in a couple of different craft stores and none of them had these so I ordered these from ebay along with the caps. They sell them together actually. Ain't that convenient!


 To apply the magnet to the back of the bottle cap you can use a hot glue gun or just a little bit more of the Mod Podge glue. It's up to you.

And there you have it! A cute addition to your fridge!


7 comments:

  1. These are so cute. You did a great job! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them Lori! They look great! You've got a very crafty imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great!!! I would have never thought of that. Just found your blog from Gooseberry Patch on Facebook. Have a great day. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative idea Lori! Those magnets are super cute. I can imagine photos of my 4 darling grandkids in them. Thanks for the "tute"
    Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! And thanks so much for giving us the sources for your supplies, that helps so much!

    So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lori, Nice to meet you! What a cute idea, thanks for sharing. I found you through Gooseberry Patch and will be a new follower. Love your blog title, I'm from MI and since we're on ten acres I refer to my yard as my prairie. Love Gooseberry, have been following them for years. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for all the kind words, ladies! It means so much to me. Pam, I know what you mean. We can see a mile in each direction from our home. In one direction we can see the water tower from our nearest town 4 miles away! It's nothing but grass and cows. lol We love it! Blessings to each of you!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet thoughts from my kind friends are always welcome!