Wednesday, May 25, 2011

TWO Recipes!

I figured since I haven't posted anything good for a while I should double up and give ya TWO great recipes. 

This first recipe caught my eye while I was looking through my new copy of "5-Ingredient Dishes in Minutes," one of Gooseberry Patch's newest magazines. (I found mine at my local Walmart.) 

My parents recently butchered a cow and I now have 37 lbs. of hamburger just waiting to be used. This "Skinny Salsa Joes" recipe was just what I needed!

It's just perfect for a quick lunch or even a family get-together. It would just need to be doubled, tripled, heck, the skies the limit!

Here's what you need:

 1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 c. salsa
1 T. brown sugar, packed

That's it, folks!

 
Throw it all in a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Serve on buns.

There is a side note stating that the longer this simmers, the better these taste. I agree and not only that but they thicken up and hold together a little better. 

Every single member of my family gobbled these up. (That's pretty rare in these parts)


I've got to admit that I got half way through my sandwich and realized I didn't take a finished product photo. I thought, "Well now what do I do?"  My super smart hubby said, "Just turn it around and take a picture of the backside!" Ain't he SmArT?!? 

Now for the dessert!

"Granny's Chocolate Cobbler"
from Gooseberry Patch's 
"Sunday Dinner at Grandma's"


Ingredients needed are:

3/4 c. butter, melted
3 c. sugar, divided
1-1/2 c. self-rising flour
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. plus 2 T. baking cocoa, divided
2 t. vanilla extract 
2-1/2 c. boiling water


Pour melted butter in a 13 x 9 pan; set aside. I used margarine, I know, Paula Deen would be so ashamed!


In a large bowl combine 1-1/2 c. sugar, flour, milk, 2 T. cocoa and vanilla.


If you're like me, you never have self-rising flour on hand, and I'll be darned if I'm gonna make a 30 minute drive to the nearest town to get some! So, I simply make my own. For every cup of all purpose flour I add 1-1/2 t. baking powder and 1/2 t. salt. (I always use this for my beer bread and it works great!)

After mixing this all together; spoon over melted butter. 
Don't stir!

Kinda funky looking, I know. Don't let this fool you. The finished product is AWESOME!
In a small bowl, mix together remaining 1-1/2 c. sugar and 1/2 c. cocoa; sprinkle evenly over batter. Pour boiling water over batter. Again, Don't stir!


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. This will not set up completely. You will want a kinda pudding at the bottom of this. Serve warm!



We liked ours with vanilla ice cream!
Have a happy Wednesday, everybody!

4 comments:

  1. With this dinner, we're betting you were one popular mama last night! :) Thanks so much for sharing these recipes. They look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Lori! You're making it very hard for me to keep eating healthy! I'm going to try the Skinny Salsa Joe's for lunch on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori!

    We call this recipe hot fudge sundae cake. Add 1/2c of walnuts or pecans if you like them. It adds to the texture and the taste. It's just as good without them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, I think nuts would be perfect! It would be a nice addition to all that chocolate. I'll have to try that next time!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet thoughts from my kind friends are always welcome!