Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cowboy Cookie Jar Mix

Back when I was in high school I came across my first jar mix recipe. It was for a delicious brownie mix. I have enjoyed making all kinds ever since. They make great gifts and sometimes I even keep a few on hand for myself. They look so pretty on the shelf!

The recipe I am sharing with you today is "Cowboy Cookie Mix"
For starters you are going to need a 1 quart canning jar with a lid, a funnel (if your messy like me) and a tamper. ( I think that's what that wooden thing is called in the left corner of the picture.)

List of Ingredients;
1 c. flour
1 c. oats
3/4 c. M&M's
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
2 T. cocoa 
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped nuts

If you're not a nut lover then you could substitute with chocolate chips or more M&M's.

Layer ingredients in order given packing after each addition. If you don't pack then your ingredients will not all make it in. 



Screw the lid on and there you have it! 

Now you are going to need a card with the instructions on it so the recipient will know what the heck to do with this thing.

I  printed this design from one of my Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. I can't remember which one. So many of these books have such cute tags to copy and use that I loose track!


Now you can use what ever you have to decorate the card. I used my Gooseberry Patch acrylic stamps. You can find these and other cute stuff at cookbookin.com.

Write the following inside your card.

          Cowboy Cookies           
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 jar cookie mix

 1. Preheat oven to 350*.
 2. Beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla until blended. Add cookie     mix to butter mixture; stir until well blended.
 3. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes. Remove and let cool. 
Makes 2 1/2 dozen


Next you can cut a 7 inch circle out of a scrap piece of fabric to place on the top of your jar. (this isn't necessary but it sure makes it purdy!)
Then tie it into place with a piece of raffia or a ribbon. Make sure you punch and hole in your card and string your raffia through it before you make your bow.
 To be honest the first time I ever tried these I didn't think that raisins, nuts and chocolates all together would taste very good but WOW! They were great! My kids couldn't even get enough of them.






3 comments:

  1. Oh you made that look so fun! It's funny because I was questioning the raisins myself but since you said they were good in it, I'd keep them in there. LOL!
    Have a great day.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a brilliant idea! I am definitely going to think about doing this at Christmas time for gifts. Thank you!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute! They would make great teacher gifts, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet thoughts from my kind friends are always welcome!